9/12/14

Review: Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

My rating★★★+0.5
Genre: young adult, romance, paranormal.
Series: stand-alone

Blurb from Goodreads:

Dying sucks
...and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand.
After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?
But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life.
For real this time.

My review:

Jennifer L. Armentrout is in my opinion one of the best authors ever. She’s brilliant in contemporary romances. Realistic or paranormal, doesn’t matter, she rocks in both genres.
But… I think she’s better in series than in stand-alones. Especially when it’s paranormal.
In the first half not a lot happened and then I had 50 pages left and there were still plenty mysteries to be solved. And then it went SO fast. Don’t get me wrong, I liked this book, but it was way too rushed in the end. When the book ended, it almost felt like a part of the story just started. Now, I want more!

“I admitted. If I was going to hallucinate, then at least it was some hot dude instead of something gross.”

It also reminded me a lot of the Shatter Me series. Like a lot, a lot. The Shatter Me series are one of my all-time favorite books, because they were so unique. And while I was reading this books, I kept comparing it. I know I shouldn’t have done it, but I just couldn’t help myself.

“You worry about hurting me, but you never seem to worry about me hurting you. And I’m the one with the killer touch.”

All those little things aside, it was still pretty good. JLA’s writing is fabulous, and it was in this book too. It’s funny and mysterious. And Hayden was amazing. I liked him a lot!
I only couldn’t relate a lot to Ember, but I was (kind of) okay with that.

“My heart did a stupid little jump that made me all warm and fuzzy. He liked me— really liked me. It was like hitting the jackpot of awesome guys.”


This book didn’t gripped me like JLA’s other books. But it was still good! And I think that if I hadn’t read The Shatter Me series before this book, that I would have LOVED it and gave it 5 stars immediately. So, it’s kind of a book you need to judge by yourself. I think it will be different for everyone. 

View this on Goodreads here.

No comments:

Post a Comment