4/18/15

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Genre: NA, romance, contemporary, poetry
Series: Slammed #1
Release date: January 5th 2012

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

My review: ★★

*Note: Please don’t hate me for not liking this book. I really tried. Please read until the end of my review. It’s not all that bad :)*


Oh. My. God. I am so disappointed… I’ve read all Colleen’s books and I loved them all. I mean, seriously, you should have seen me after reading Ugly Love or Maybe Someday. I was a complete mess! The Slammed trilogy were the last books I hadn’t read by CoHo. I had pretty high expectations because a LOT of people told me Slammed was her best book. But oh man, what did I read?... Saying I’m confused is a serious understanding. I’ve been scrolling through the 5 stars reviews on Goodreads and I just don’t get it! I feel like I read a completely different book than them!

This book was just one big “NO”. Colleen is known for her epic romances, lots of drama and happy endings. This book had no romance. The plot was horrible and the ending is a big “what the hell?”. Most of the events that happened in this book to add more “drama” were a little exaggerated and unnecessary. The epilogue was a bit weird... I just don't get it.

I couldn’t relate to the characters at all. Layken is so whiny and immature for her age. Don’t even let me start on Will… he’s just stupid. I’ve read ‘bad’ books before, but with 90% of these cases I was still kind of interested in the guy. Now I couldn’t even care less about him… Their relationship (if you can even call it “relationship”…) was awkward, weird, and definitely insta-love-ish (with no build up whatsoever).

The writing itself was good. I’m not a big fan of poetry but the slams were okay. I expected a bit more of them though. Besides that it reads pretty easy and quick. And I think the minor characters were way more better than the main ones. I mean, Eddie? She was the best part of this book!! She had way more potential than Layken or Will.

So yes, overall I was very disappointed, but I will not make this change my opinion about Colleen. Slammed was her first (or second?) book and I’m very pleased to see she got way better at plotting her books. Although I decided that I won’t be reading the two other book in this trilogy, I still see her as an amazing author. Even one of my top favorites. Her writing style became epic and she managed to keep that easiness in her books. So I’m still very excited for her future books!

No comments:

Post a Comment