2/9/15

Review: My Heart & Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

Genre: young adult, contemporary, romance, death
Series: stand-alone

Aysel and Roman are practically strangers, but they've been drawn into an unthinkable partnership. In a month's time, they plan to commit suicide - together.

Aysel knows why she wants to die: being the daughter of a murderer doesn't equal normal, well-adjusted teenager. But she can't figure out why handsome, popular Roman wants to end it all....and why he's even more determined than she is.

With the deadline getting closer, something starts to grow between Aysel and Roman - a feeling she never thought she would experience. It seems there might be something to live for, after all - but is Aysel in so deep she can't turn back?

My review★★★★+0.5

If I have a boyfriend, his name is death. And I’m pretty sure Roman is in love with him, too. It’s like a love triangle gone wrong. Or maybe it’s a love triangle gone right: we both get the guy on April 7.

I was so excited when I got this book gifted. I started reading this immediately. Although, I have to say that I expected something different. I expected big ugly crying, but it didn’t happen. But I’m glad it didn’t turned out how I expected. Because it was even better.

“You’re not allowed to die without me,” he wispers.

Aysel is depressed, haunted by the consequences of her dad’s acts. She’s broken and wants to die. Roman is being eaten by his guilt of something that happened almost one year ago. He doesn’t think he deserves to live after what he did. He too wants to die and he planned it all out. But both are too scared to do it alone. That’s how they find each other and become suicide-partners. Aysel and Roman are the perfect match. They understand each other perfectly and because of that they have a connection that’s beyond my comprehending.

“Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.”

Like I said, I thought this was going to be a very heavy read and hard to get through because of the heavy emotions. But I never thought a book with teenage suicide could be so full of hope. This book touched me in a very different way. I don’t even know how to explain it.
The more I read, the more I felt anxious about what was going to happen. The book felt like a ticking clock and the ending was… *sighs* I don’t think there’s a word to describe this. I grew attached to Roman and Aysel. I wish this book was longer though. I would have loved to see what happened after.

“Sometimes I wonder if my heart is like a black hole - it's so dense that there's no room for light, but that doesn't mean it can't still suck me in.”

So trust me, this is definitely a must-read! This book is beautifully written and I know already lots of people will love it. It’s a real and honest story that will touch your heart in the way you were not expecting.

“You're like a grey sky. You're beautiful, even though you don't want to be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment